THE BEST PARTS OF ME-Unhanding My Children. (Audio Blog)

Hello Friends!  Happy Mothering Day!

No matter who you are or where you are on your life journey, motherhood has touched you.  You have mothered,  you have been mothered or maybe you are hoping to mother.  Maybe this year your oldest is about to be out the door and on her way.   Maybe your little babies are growing up too fast.  Or maybe, like me, you’ll be spending your first Mother’s Day without your mom.  It could be this Mother’s Day finds you so in the thick of being a mama that honestly, imagining them grownup and gone is your wish when you blow out your birthday candle this year. Listen, if a mother tells you she’s never had that thought….well, I’m going to shut my mouth before I judge!

Mercy.

It’s all part of it, isn’t it?   Every single emotion known to mankind all tangled up together.  That, my friend,  is mothering–the giving of it and the receiving of it.

One of the greatest gifts of being fifty-nine is time.  I have some now.  Time  to look back–to be on the gentle, backside slope of mothering.  To be no longer on the front row, but in the cheering section.  It’s good over here, and I would not lie to you, but some days I go wandering back.

I hope as I read this little Mother’s Day chapter to you, you’ll be reminded of the artistry and goodness of God.  This whole mothering thing was his very grand idea.  From start to finish.

THE BEST PARTS OF ME-Unhanding My Children (an audio chapter).

(This is a stand-alone chapter of an essay book project that will be complete in 2020.  Stay tuned here for future sneak peeks).

Recorded and edited by Jason James.

Music by www.bensound.com

11 Comments

1. Bobbie Lou Gray on May 11, 2019 at 8:03 am

Beautiful words from a beautiful momma!! Loved listening and felt so much love and passion about this wonderful thing we call being a mom!! Thank you Dana! So beautiful!

2. Pat Brandenberger on May 11, 2019 at 11:11 am

Love your precious thoughts and words

3. LaFonda on May 11, 2019 at 10:28 pm

Dana we absolutely loved hearing this. Kevin and I listened together and could see in our minds those little ones growing up and flying off. Such a beautiful story. I’m excited to see the completed project ♥️

• Sue Anne on May 12, 2019 at 10:25 pm

Dana – loved hearing you tell the story of your three little ones. I’ve had a hard time lately missing my two little people and hearing you share your experience gave me a sense of comfort. I’ve always loved you reading your books to us on our annual girls trip. I am anxious to read the book when it’s finished. You are truly amazingly talented and I am so blessed to call you my friend!! Love you!!

• Dana Wright on June 4, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Sue Anne. I’m so sorry. It is the hardest job on the planet. You’re a good mom. We signed on for a lifetime, didn’t we? Did anyone tell you that in the beginning? I didn’t think this far down the road. Prayers.

• Dana Wright on June 4, 2019 at 3:43 pm

Thank you LaFonda!

4. STORMY JONES on May 12, 2019 at 2:16 am

Sweet Dana,One of my many blessings from God, THANK YOU. Happy Mother’s Day.
    What a beautiful season of your life for you to share. Loved hearing your kind and reassuring voice read these beautiful mothering remembrances. What a gift you have been given! What a gift you share! 🙏❤️Love you.

• Dana Wright on June 4, 2019 at 3:40 pm

Stormy there were plenty of days I couldn’t conjure up a vision of “this”. All parts have been beautiful. Mostly. (wink)

5. Jean Rostron on May 12, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Loved loved loved! However, if I’ve let go of their boxes as well, does that make me a bad mom?!🤪😞🤔😬. I’m glad you are sharing your gift to the world, Dana. You are such a talented writer that touches the heart of her readers (listeners!)

• Dana Wright on June 4, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Jean. I probably just means you’re a healthier version of the rest of us!

6. Lupe Stovall on June 22, 2019 at 7:53 am

I knew it, I’m not weird!! I have a cedar chest full of my son’s childhood keepsakes! He graduated HS this year and yes, I know the goodbyes are coming. Harder than the past ones, but easier than the next. Thank you Dana! You always seem to read what’s in my heart and cannot myself put into such beautiful words.
    A piece of me will now be shared with the world. Can and cannot wait to see what the next years will bring.